As helpful as new technology can be, there are several good reasons why an increasing number of people are using a mounted clothesline to air dry laundry. Here’s a look at why you should air dry laundry.
- Save Money Conventional dryers use quite a bit of electricity — so it stands to reason that air drying your clothes can help you save money. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, your electric clothes dryer is responsible for 6% of your yearly energy use. That extra money could be going toward something else!
- Reduce Your Environmental ImpactCutting down your energy use doesn’t just help your wallet — it also helps the environment. When you air dry laundry, you avoid using the resources that provide electricity for your home. This will reduce your carbon footprint.
- Protect Your Clothes Over time, a tumble dryer will wear out the fibers of your clothing. Using a mounted clothesline prevents this wear and tear, while exposure to outside air will help your clothes smell better. Sunlight can even be used to disinfect and bleach white clothing.
- Improve Your WellbeingIt may only take a few minutes, but the extra energy you use to line dry your clothes does provide a small amount of exercise — an easy way to improve your physical fitness. Getting outside in the sunshine can also be a therapeutic, calming experience that helps you better deal with the stresses of the day.
- Help Your Home Finally, choosing to air dry laundry can create a safe, healthy home environment. First and foremost, this practice eliminates the risk of a dryer fire, which could cause serious damage. In addition, using an indoor drying rack during the winter can increase your home’s humidity levels, which will help your family stay healthy.